Tax Solicitor In London
One of the best tax lawyers in London
“A leading expert in HMRC investigations, fraud and complex financial crime”
“Great advice that saved my business and reputation”
Significant experience defending tax prosecutions and complex financial crimes including
- HMRC Investigations
- Bribery & Corruption
- Insider Dealing
- Money Laundering
- Corporate Manslaughter and Health & Safety Law
- Fraud and Financial Crime
- Corporate Crime
- Tax Investigations
- Cash Seizures, restraint Orders and Confiscation Proceedings
Former international judge who presided in many complex serious and organised crime cases including tax evasion, money laundering, fraud and asset confiscation cases. Will give clear strategic advice for the successful conclusion of difficult financial crime cases.
Advising several London law firms in serious and organised crime and complex litigation. Having served as an international judge for more than 13 years is able to give strategic advice on how to defend difficult cases.
Recognising that being accused of a serious criminal offence can be a worrying time, will provide constructive, strategic and supportive advice throughout the process in order to achieve the best outcome.
HMRC is investing significant resources investigating tax evasion and other offences involving public revenue. HMRC investigations tend to follow one of two courses: civil recovery and criminal prosecution.
Most investigations follow the civil recovery route. However, HMRC reserves complete discretion to conduct a criminal investigation in any case. Examples of the kind of circumstances in which HMRC will generally consider starting a criminal, rather than civil investigation are:
- cases of organised criminal gangs attacking the tax system or systematic frauds where losses represent a serious threat to the tax base, including conspiracy
- cases where an individual holds a position of trust or responsibility
- where materially false statements are made or materially false documents are provided in the course of a civil investigation
- where, pursuing an avoidance scheme, reliance is placed on a false or altered document or such reliance or material facts are misrepresented to enhance the credibility of a scheme
- where deliberate concealment, deception, conspiracy or corruption is suspected
- in cases involving the use of false or forged documents
- in cases involving importation or exportation breaching prohibitions and restrictions
- in cases involving money laundering with particular focus on advisors, accountants, solicitors and others acting in a ‘professional’ capacity who provide the means to put tainted money out of reach of law enforcement
- where the perpetrator has committed previous offences or there is a repeated course of unlawful conduct or previous civil action
- in cases involving theft, or the misuse or unlawful destruction of HMRC documents
- where there is evidence of assault on, threats to, or the impersonation of HMRC officials
- where there is a link to suspected wider criminality, whether domestic or international, involving offences not under the administration of HMRC
There are certain fiscal offences where HMRC will not usually adopt the civil fraud investigation procedures including VAT ‘bogus’ registration repayment fraud and organised Tax Credit fraud.
We act for many high-net-worth individuals who are currently the subject of HMRC investigations. We have an enviable success rate representing clients charged with serious offences. Whether you are charged with tax-related offences, fraud, money laundering or Cash Seizures, restraint Orders and Confiscation Proceedings contact us for an initial free consultation.
If you want to obtain a second passport – even a diplomatic passport – there a ways to do so
It is possible to obtain citizenship of another country while retaining one’s current citizenship. It is also possible to obtain
Malcolm Simmons, Top Criminal Lawyer, Criminal Defence Solicitor representing clients across the UK.
Highly regarded criminal defence solicitor and former international judge, specialising in complex economic crime. He has for many years defended clients